Click on our Frequently Asked Questions below to read more. Still have questions unanswered? Ask one of our customer representatives today!
What steps are involved to allow a Guide or Assistance Dog to board our aircraft?
1. The Dog and User have been trained and certified by at least one of three of these member agencies:
- The International Guide Dog Federation* (IGDF)
- Assistance Dogs International* (ADI)
- Holds a Government issued ID card indicating that the dog is certified
- *All IGDF and ADI handler/users are issued cards from their service provider. Lists of these organizations/schools may be found on their websites if required and time permits.
2. The dog is properly harnessed or wearing its ID jacket/cape and at all times is attached to the user by way of the leash.
Where does the Guide or Assistance Dog sit during the flight?
- We try our best to keep the assistance dog as close to the passenger as possible as required for disability needs. For this reason, we will pre-board the disabled passenger with the service dog. Their short harness must be secured through a seatbelt at all times during the flight. The pilot in command will determine the best seating arrangement when pre-boarding the passengers.
Are Guide or Assistance Dogs subject to the pet policy?
- No, because assistant dogs are required for disability related needs they are not subject to the pet policy restrictions. They do not have a weight restriction, they do not have to be in a hard-shell case as long as their harness can be secured through a seatbelt. While there is no weight restriction on the dog, their weight must be verified and combined to the passenger’s weight and it is not counted in the passenger’s luggage allowance.
Are Emotional Support Animals subject to the pet policy?
Emotional Support Animals do not have public access rights like an Assistant or Service Dog does. Emotional Support Animals can only be accommodated within the limites of our Pet Policy, meaning that they must travel in a hard shelled kennel within the specified dimensions and weight limits.
Passengers diagnosed with an unstable physical or physiological medical condition are required to be accommpanied by a companion or attendant for their personal care and safety during the flight. Harbour Air will provide a seat, at no additional charge, for attendants who are travelling with individuals who are unable to travel alone because of a disability or medical condtion. To find out about eligibility for our Passenger Escort program, please contact our Reservations team by calling 1.800.665.0212.
Examples of medical conditions that require a companion on a Harbour Air, Whistler Air or Saltspring Air flight include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease
- Unstable cognitive challenges
Booking, Documenting and Communication
Our Reservations team should be contacted in advance of the travel date to request a passenger escort booking by calling 1.800.665.0212. Please provide our team with any relevant information that can help facilitate a smooth and comfortable check-in, boarding and in-flight experience for both the passenger and their travel companion.
- Primary contact information (person making the booking and informing us of the medical condition);
- Contact information of the travel companion; and
- Any additional notes to help make the passenger's Harbour Air experience as seamless as possible
- Pre- and/or post-boarding assistance is available upon request.
- Q: Can I bring my pet with me?
- A: Harbour Air Group welcomes everyone on board, including pets! If you are travelling with a pet, please be aware of the following requirements when making a reservation:
• Safety First! Pets must be travelling in a hard-shelled travel carrier. No part of the animal is allowed to protrude from the carrier. All carriers must be secure and leak proof. Collapsible kennels are not accepted. We want to keep your pet as safe as possible since your pet will be transported in the baggage / cargo area of the aircraft.
• Both travel carrier and the weight of the pet are included in the stated passenger luggage allowance, click here to learn more about luggage allowances.
• Carrier must not exceed 30"L (76cm) X 18"W (45cm) X 24"H (61cm) (Medium Size Kennel). The total weight of the carrier and pet must not exceed 25 lbs.
• Pet Comfort – The pet kennel must be big enough to allow the animal to stand, turn around and lie down comfortably, as per international regulations. If the pet carrier does not allow the animal to do this, Harbour Air reserves the right to refuse transport.
• Certified Assistance dogs may travel without a kennel but will require an approved harness (ie. Vest Harness) which will be secured on board. Prior notification is required.
- Q: Do you provide Pet Carriers?
- A: Yes, each base has a Pet Carrier that is available for rent at a charge of $35. This is on a first come, first served basis and can be reserved via the Reservations Department. Payment must be made using a Credit Card. This is a flat rate and no other associated fee's are applicable.
- Q: Are pregnant passengers permitted to fly?
- A: A woman in any stage of pregnancy is welcome to fly. Women past 36 weeks must consult a physician or a registered midwife and obtain a written confirmation stating they are acceptable for travel and to mitigate the chance that the seatbelt will compromise the pregnancy.
- Q: Do you accept Unaccompanied Minors?
- A: Yes! Harbour Air accepts Unaccompanied Minors with the following requirements:
• Minor must be between the ages of 5 and 11.
• Unaccompanied Minors Fare is the same as the Adult Fare.
• Please allow more time at check in to fill in required documentation.
• Pick up and drop off guardians are required to show picture ID.
• Unfortunately, Unaccompanied Minors will not be accepted when the weather is possibly going to, or has affected our normal flight operations.
For more information regarding Unaccompanied Minors please contact the Reservations Call Center at Contact Us.
- Q: Can I fly if I am in a wheelchair?
- A: You must be ambulatory in order to fly with the ability to walk on and off the aircraft with minimal or no assistance.
Please contact the Reservations Department for more information.
- Q: Can I charter a private aircraft?
- A: If you wish to charter an aircraft, our Charter department will be able to help you. For more information, please see Charters
- Q: Where can I rent a car?
- A: Budget-Rent-a-Car and National Car Rental are our transportation partners. When you make a flight reservation, allow one of our agents to book a rental car for you at the same time. We've negotiated great rates just for you!
- Q: Is parking available at your locations?
- A: Pay Parking is available in Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo. Free parking is available in South Vancouver (YVR) and Pitt Meadows. At our Vancouver location, let our staff look after your parking needs with our Valet Service. For more information, please see Services
•Pay Parking available in Vancouver through EasyPark.
•Pay Parking available in Victoria through the City of Victoria.
•Pay Parking available in Nanaimo through Robbins Parking Service Ltd.
- Q: How does the shuttle bus service operate?
A: Our shuttle is a complimentary, service to help get you where you need to be. Upon arrival in Vancouver or Victoria there is a service area available within the downtown offices and hotels. In South Vancouver (YVR), the shuttle is available to the South or Main Terminals of the Vancouver International Airport.
Pick up at the Vancouver International airport is available by request only. At your arrival, please make your way to Level 1 of the Domestic terminal where the shuttle pick-up area is located. Once there, please use the phone available to you in the lobby and dial *30 as indicated. This will re-direct you to our shuttle driver, who will in turn advise you of the pick-up time.
At the Domestic Arrival area, after collecting your bags at Level 2 please make your way to Level 1 of the Domestic terminal where the shuttle pick-up area is located. Once there, please use the courtesy phone available to you and dial *30 as indicated. This will re-direct you to our shuttle driver, who will in turn advise you of the pick-up time.
Please note that all pick up times are approximate and may take up to 30 minutes. For more information, please see Services
- Q: Where do I go for technical support?
- A: Please contact our Reservation Department, at email@example.com for technical assistance. For any other inquiries regarding Harbour Air & Westcoast Air High Flyer program, please contact our Account Coordinator, Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Q: What is required for a Budget car rental?
- A: Budget car renters must be over 25 years of age with a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and a hold a major credit card in their name.